Last week, we released part one of this post. If you haven’t read it yet, check it out here! Read on below to get the best tips for staging your space to sell your home fast.
- It’s time to get out your cleaning equipment and scrub away all the built up grime on every surface of your bathroom, such as water stains, and soap scum.
- Consider completing tasks such as re-caulking around the tub, painting the tile (this is much less expensive than replacing the tile, and can turn out to be a very beautiful upgrade), replace old towels with new and clean towels, un-clogging and cleaning drains, and fixing a leaky toilet.
- Put away all your personal toiletries, from medicine to razors, and add in some spa-inspired items, such as nice soap dispensers, candles, and plants.
Walls, Windows & More
- Brighten up dark rooms and hallways with a fresh coat of light neutral coloured paint, or add in a mirror to create a larger space.
- Even out the nicks in your walls by filling them and touch up these spots with some paint.
- To keep your home modern, paint over any wood panelling – if you want to you can fill in the panel lines with wood filler and paint over the whole thing, or keep the panelling as an interesting texture.
- It’s also important to ensure that all your switch plates and outlet covers match and look new. Replace them if necessary.
- De-personalize the space by removing your family photos and replace with interesting, modern art.
- Lastly, wash all the walls and windows, you’d be surprised at how grimy they get from day-to-day life.
Throughout the House
- Think about every possible way you can de-clutter, whether that’s getting ruthless and getting rid of things, or boxing them away for later assessment.
- Keep any storage space as empty as possible so buyers can see how large the space really is.
- Make your unused space functional – add in a desk or reading nook so buyers can see how to utilize your space.
- Lastly, keep your floors updated by replacing any broken boards and deep cleaning your carpets.
- Freshen up the outside of your house by re-staining your porch and deck, and re-painting your door.
- Keep your colour neutral or to red, black, or something that compliments the trim and won’t blend in too much. Before painting, it might be a good idea to power-wash everything.
- It’s also important to make sure all your lights, doorbells, doorknobs, and locks are working, and if they aren’t it’s time to replace that.
- Take a good look at your landscape, and see what upgrades you can do. We have published a great post on landscaping to sell your home here.
For Pet Owners
- Deep clean all carpet and textile areas, and use a specialized carpet or textile cleaner made specifically for removing pet odours.
- Stash away any pet toys, and check the yard for those special “presents” your animal may leave behind.
- For showings and open houses, find a place where you can take your furry friend for the time, as pets can be very distracting to potential buyers.
Day of Showing
- Add something special with a seasonal accent, such as a bouquet of flowers in the warmer weather, or simmering cinnamon sticks in the cold months.
- Try not to do any cooking, as it might leave behind an unpleasant scent. Instead, you might want to bake cookies to leave a nice smell in your home.
- Clean and tidy up everything as best as you can.
Now you can stage your home like a pro! Have questions about selling your home? Let’s chat!